Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Let's talk about PCOS

I just briefly touched on PCOS in my last post. Let's talk a little bit more about that.

It affects 5-10% of women of childbearing age. They have higher than average rates of obesity, hirsuitism, infertility, insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, adult acne, endometrial cancer, and lesbianism (I know, that's odd). They have lower than average rates of ovarian cancer and osteoporosis. It's a complex endocrine disorder.

I have a very mild case of it. The only symptoms I have are anovulatory dysmennorhea and infertility. The infertility was treated successfully once and I do have Chuckles now, but I am still anovulatory and probably won't be able to get pregnant again without seeking help. I do not have insulin resistance and obesity (yet). I have some excess facial hair, and I keep it in check with daily pluckings and the occasional waxing.

One of the best treatments currently available for PCOS (to treat symptoms) is use of oral contraceptives. That's great unless you are Catholic and forbidden from using them or are trying to treat infertility. Many people also use insulin sensitizing drugs like metformin (Glucophage).

No comments:

Post a Comment