Thursday, June 16, 2011

I am not your sister-in-law

I was all sure how I was going to tell you, dear readers.  I was going to title the post "I am your sister-in-law" and then the post would be a photo of two pink lines showing that I was all fertile and pregnant after just one month of (ahem) not-exactly-trying.  First time we tried!!!

But alas, that's not how this post is going to roll. 

Today is Cycle Day 35, aka new Cycle Day 1.  I could've saved a buck and the dollar store test I took this morning if only I'd waited.  I even have a rule about not testing before CD35 for just this reason (it will usually be obvious before I would get to the test). 

But I'm not really disappointed...for a variety of reasons.  The first is that I got my husband a wave runner for Fathers' Day.  I would be mighty bummed if I couldn't ride it this weekend. (A wave runner is like a jet ski but you sit down on it.)  The second is that I am going on "vacation" with my in-laws in a few weeks, and I would really like to spend most of the week slightly intoxicated (or on the wave runner...and stone cold sober). 

The third is that I am highly ambivalent about a third baby.  I want one, but if I don't get one, I will be A-OK and just fine.  Really.  I swear.   We aren't even really trying.  I can prove it!  I have a prescription for progeterone suppositories in my purse, and I haven't even filled it (yet?). I own a fertility monitor, and I am not using it.  I didn't take an OPK or my temperature this month.  I only had marital visitation with my husband when I wanted to, not when the stick, the clock, the calendar, or the doctor told me to. 

A word to the wise, women who are not taking The Pill have wild desire and mood fluctuations during a cycle, whoah.  I guess I have never before in my life had an ovulatory cycle where I was not actively trying to get pregnant so this was crazy new.  I'm starting to understand things like why women joke about PMS and mid-month libido.  I've never known that before, and it's really amazing.  I'm a little jealous that I never got to experience this before. 

The 4th reason I am not bummed is that getting pregnant this month would've put me with a due date in February (my 36th birthday, actually).  I would prefer to take my maternity leave over the summer.  I know that infertile women don't usually indicate a preference, but if a teacher can say she's aiming for a summer baby, a not-really trying woman can say she'd prefer to give birth April - June.  Beggars can't be choosers, but I ain't begging.   

Lastly, I am taking prenatal vitamins because it's just a good idea for a woman who is not using any birth control to do that sort of thing responsibly.  I am prudent.  What I am not is pregnant.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you and some of the other bloggers who have had fertility issues blog about this stuff. It helps prevent me from sticking my foot in my mouth in real life.

    I hope you have a nice accident, at about the time you want it!

    ReplyDelete