Sunday, November 09, 2008

Where do babies come from and other tidbits from my life

My child is no longer a baby. I stood in the kitchen today listening to him playing by himself in the other room.

Chuckles as 1 person: That's not your truck; that's my fire truck.

Chuckles as a second person: No, it's mine. Give it.

1: Hands off my truck.

2: You are not very nice. Share with me.

1: I am not your friend.

2: Mine.

And so it went for quite some time. It was cute. And he did not at any point start beating himself up to get the fire truck from himself, so he's not a future mental patient.

He is also no longer a baby because "buyed" has turned into "bought" and "taked" has turned into "took" or "has taken", depending on context.

Babies are made of every last little bit of patience I had mixed liberally with leftover Fun Size Halloween chocolates. So, I am a wee bit cranky but sweet.

What's for dinner?

As part of our ongoing and continuing periodic feature, I will now tell you what I ate for dinner.

Tuesday (my first day of maternity leave and day I voted and painted): Crock Pot Roast and salad

Wednesday: Homemade Creamed Chipped Beef (made with Carl Buddig brand luncheon meat)

Thursday: Leftover pot roast

Friday: Homemade banana muffins for breakfast courtesy of Chuckles who "needed" a muffin. Ham and cheese quiche with a spring mix salad fixed with mandarin oranges and a pomegranate vinaigrette dressing (sugar, basil, pomegranate vinegar, water, olive oil) AND French Silk pie from Baker's Square for dinner. The first thing Mr. Long-Suffering said when he got home was, "Someone put fruit in my salad." Not, "Hi honey, I'm home." or even, "Gee, that smells good." But "Someone put fruit in my salad."

Saturday: Weekend Waffles for breakfast. Pecan crusted chicken, tomato bisque, and seasonal hearty vegetable from Scarborough Faire for dinner AND later at home, French Silk pie. Child spent the night with Grandma.

Sunday: Mr. Long-Suffering's awesome reward French Toast for breakfast (he makes it for me when I have been very good). For dinner, rosemary roasted chicken (with garlic), mushroom wild rice (wild rice, brown rice, mushrooms, white sauce, hint of black pepper and salt), assorted frozen veggies, a (hopefully) good cranberry dish (I was out of one of the ingredients and tried to sub something else in), and two pumpkin pies (since after that, the French Silk was all gone). One of the pies got a homemade pat-in-the-pan oil crust (1-1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup oil, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 T ice cold water) and the other got a Meirco brand store-bought crust that contains hydrogenated lard. Ewwww. Oh, and whipped cream, because you cannot, by law, have pumpkin pie without whipped cream.

And now for more of our regularly-scheduled programming:

Right now, I am listening to Mr. Long-Suffering explaining that the Chicago Bears are not "in a time out" but are "taking a time out" because Tennessee is winning and something about the clock running out, but they didn't do anything wrong or get put in a time out. And I am listening to this while eating a Fun Size Heath bar. Baby likes toffee.

I am 38.5 weeks. I have less than 8 days to go. I have gained just a hair less than 40 lbs, but I swear it's all baby. Maybe a record breaker, this one. Or not. I'm still really shamefully energetic and am planning on raking leaves tomorrow. I'll let you know how that plan goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment