Sunday, April 27, 2008

Random Bulletized Updates

  • I was right and my ability to control my blood sugar is pretty much non-existent. I can be in teh middle of eating a piece of funfetti cake and only put up 104. After a week of testing, 104 is the highest I've ever had (and I don't wait after eating to test). I believe 64 is the lowest I've seen. Most readings are between 76 and 83. If I had diabetes, I suppose they'd say I was well-controlled. So, the new plan is to swear off of lab-carb and eat whatever and whenever I want. And if the what and when happens to be a Blue Bunny ice cream sandwich at 7pm on Friday from the ice cream truck, well then so be it.
  • When I flagged the ice cream truck down, I was a really weird moment. I was the THE MOM. I walked into the house calmly, got my purse, and walked quietly to the curb. I flagged the truck, ordered, and paid out of my wallet. I was THE MOM. I was not on my bike chasing the truck down. I was not running wildly with money in my hand hoping I had enough. I was A MOM. And I gave Chuckles his first ice cream novelty from the truck. And he thinks I rock. The next night, we got ice cream from the old Fotomat near our house that's now a Froyo stand. They have a kids' ice cream that has candy eyes. He had only had it once before (last summer), but when we pulled up, he said, "I want somesing wif eyes." So, there you have it.
  • Next week is Chuckles's birthday party and we are panic cleaning. Is there any other kind? I need to remember to host a party quarterly so things get done around here.
  • Chuckles is asleep on the dining room floor right now. I told him to go take a nap, and that is what and where he did. I have no idea what's up with him. This is so uncharacteristic, I don't even know what to say. But I'm thankful because his nap required no participation on my part, and I am NOTHING if not lazy.
  • For dinner tonight: grilled pork chops, grilled marinated portobello mushrooms, grilled marinated eggplant, brown rice, and maybe a salad. Yummy.
  • I planted my flowers yesterday. I know you're thinking, "But it's too early. It's not May 15th yet." I know. I know. I know my mom never put plants in before May 15th. And I know I have never ever waited that long. I checked the 15-day forecast and there will be no frost, so it should be OK. Besides, I like to have the flowers in before Chuckles's birthday. In three weeks when I am complaining that all my flowers were zapped by a hard freeze, try not to remind me of this, k?
  • So, I guess I am still pregnant. I say, I guess, because how do people know that everything is OK. With Chuckles, I had reassuring blood tests and ultrasounds all the time. This time, notsomuch. I got on Thursday and I will be 11 weeks. Will they be able to get a heartbeat with a Doppler then? OK, I am googling "pregnancy heartbeat Doppler" right now in the other window...."Beginning as early as the eighth week of pregnancy, you and your health care provider may be able to detect your baby’s heart rate." So, there you have it. I'm not excessively heavy, so even if we weren't able to get it at Wekk 8, we'd be able to get it three weeks later. We should have a heartbeat to hear on Thursday, and I guess if not, I get an ultrasound. Speaking of ultrasounds, I want to ask about the UltraScreen at my appointment. I want it done. I have no idea what road I'd take if the results were suboptimal, but I cannot live in ignorance. That is all. I like to be prepared.
  • What else will I ask about at my appointment? Let's see....blood sugar, UltraScreen, VBAC (possibility of), pelvic rest (continuation of), progesterone suppositories (continuation of), and maybe something fun and typical of a pregnant woman like soft cheese, lunch meat, or weight gain. I figure myself rather well-informed, so I really just need them for their equipment and referral pad (ohhh, let's give her 1x blood test and 1x ultrasound and some prenatal vitamin samples).
  • Chuckles is up and confused. Gotta run.

1 comment:

  1. Just darting over here from Moxie's site to congratulate you on what you got gestatin'

    Not sure if there's a better place to do it, but I was afraid of reading a post that asked for advice, because whatever the problem is, I have nothing. Niente. Nada. Rien.


    Slim

    ReplyDelete