Sunday, March 01, 2009

The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword

But...
Actions Speak Louder Than Words.
Discuss

A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.
I hope my sons will be wise.

Juile (who I think is Julie with a typo...it's OK, have you seen my TEH?) writes: "...I've heard that some insurance companies charge you slightly higher rates if you drive a red car....of course that could be another line my mother fed me (along with cigarettes are the gateway drug to heroin, and convertables make you old before your time)...."

Jamington tells me that some friend of hers had a mom who told her daughter that she had asthma and was deathly allergic to cigarette smoke. So, if she smoked, she'd die and if she hung around smokers, she'd wind up in the emergency room. Okeed Dokee then. I do not think the friend wound up smoking. I should think not.

What lies did your parents tell you that you've since found out are not true?
  • My mother was not so much into the imparting of life lessons, but if she had been, I'd be laughing now at the thought that having sex once could get you pregnant! Ha ha ha ha ha. Well, actually, I suppose I technically got pregnant from having sex once (but you know after weeks of drugs, tests, monitoring, etc).
  • Flipping the lights on and off really fast does not, apparently, cause the house to catch fire. I recently heard myself chastise Chuckles with that and my husband just looked at me like I was nuts. "What? That doesn't cause a fire?"
  • You are allowed to eat more than one banana a day. I have no idea why my mother told me there was a limit. I'm guessing they were expensive.
Chuckles collected his Disney Pixar Cars 1:55 die-cast Red the Fire Engine. He had dry morning diapers for another 7 days. He has now slept in underpants 2 nights in a row...still dry. Very proud. But now I need your advice. Are you supposed to wear underpants to bed if you are wearing pajamas? I only wear undies with my jammies when I need some hygiene products. The rest of the time I am commando. Something to do with letting the air get at you to prevent yeast infections (maybe this is one of those lies I was fed as a child?). So, what do you do, what do you do with your kids?

I walked in and said, "With my trade-in, I need to walk out the door paying X, however you need to get to it." The first dealer said he could do no better than X plus $747. I said I could not do that, and I walked out. Mr. Long-Suffering was heart-broken and I pretty much had to drag him out of there. He really wanted that car. I was stoic. I don't need a new car. I said, "Let's just go to some other dealer, tell them we will buy it right now today if they sell it for X.". He thought I was batty (but he often thinks that, so it's not like it's news). They came back with X plus $1500. I said, "That's a shame, because I would've bought it and would like to have it." They said, write the number here and initial it and I will take it to my boss. I did, and they took it. I bought the car. I got Cyber Grey. I pick it up tomorrow. I think I got an awesome price.

I bought the car from a dealer in an "Enterprise Zone" which is a nice way of saying economically blighted. There are certain considerations granted to businesses in the enterprise zone so their ongoing costs are lower (lower taxes and even some subsidies to retain/attract businesses). Perhaps this is why they were able to meet my price and the good neighborhood dealer just a mile from my house couldn't (I go to Story Time at the library with the dealer who did not sell me my car).

No comments:

Post a Comment