Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wednesday at noon is the center of the workweek

My husband, upon hearing that I might discover the baby's sex and not tell him, decided he can probably make the ultrasound appointment after all.

I want to revise my set-in-stone prediction about Bobo's birth. I am scrapping the whole thing. Given new information, I want to revise (almost) everything.

Day: Monday, November 24, 2008 (Change to Friday, October 31, 2008)
Gender: Girl (change to Boy)
Length: 22" (Change to 21" long)
Weight: 8 lbs 13 ounces (Change to 7 lbs, even)
Miscellany: Blue eyes, curly dark hair, born before noon, puffy lips like Angelina Jolie and a round face that is slightly reddish (I'll stick with blue eyes, curly dark hair, and puffy lips, but I'm moving time-of-birth to the afternoon)

While not googling my self into a frenzy yesterday, I ran across this study that says that Boys are the more likely outcome in placenta previa pregnancies. The proportion of boys born goes from 50.9% to 54.3%, which might not seem like a lot, but 54.3% means that only 45.7% of previa babies are girls. So, you are about 20-percent more likely to have a boy than a girl (statistics ROCK!) with a previa pregnancy. Since I have no preference, I am fine with it either way. It's just fun and interesting and not-at-all scary to talk about.

And then, while googling, I found this salon piece about a woman who gets a placenta previa diagnosis and wants to know everything (probably including how to perform her own c-section with a butter knife, should the need arise). I think she and I are soulmates.

Oh, and here is a fascinating piece on Placenta Previa from the 1879 Transacations of the Indiana State Medical Society. Man, I love Google. Let us all now say a little atheistic prayer that we are not living in 1879. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment