Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Milk Allergy

OK, at the end of the last post, I just threw my son's milk allergy out there. It's true. He's allergic to the rubbery protein, casein, found in milk. There are different kinds of casein. There's alpha and there's beta. One is in human milk, the other in cow's milk. Apparently, he's only allergic to the one in cow's milk since he nursed forever without problem. I've read that breastmilk and goat's milk have the same casein. I could put him on goat milk, but have you seen the price? It's like $4 per quart. Soy milk is only 88 cents/quart. The boy gets soy.

Did you also know that casein shows up in some pretty weird places? Like hotdogs? It's true.

Did you also know that he is not allergic to lactose or whey? He is able to consume baby formula for this reason. I'm all concerned about too much exposure to soy's phytoestrogens and possible stunting of his gonad development, so I mix the soy milk with some milk-based formula from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment