Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I could have told you that

According to a new study, 95% of Americans (even those who were born a long time ago...like old people) had sex outside of marriage. I'll quote from the article here so you don't actually have to read it...
  • 99 percent of the respondents had had sex by age 44, and 95 percent had done so before marriage.
  • Even among a subgroup of those who abstained from sex until at least age 20, four-fifths had had premarital sex by age 44, the study found.
  • Finer said the likelihood of Americans having sex before marriage has remained stable since the 1950s, though people now wait longer to get married and thus are sexually active as singles for extensive periods.
  • Among women born between 1950 and 1978, at least 91 percent had had premarital sex by age 30, he said, while among those born in the 1940s, 88 percent had done so by age 44.
So, the 40-year old virgin was among the 1% of people who didn't have sex by adulthood. Very interesting. 95% of us have sex before marriage. In fact, I only know one person directly (although I heard of another one) who claims not to have had sex prior to marriage. I know a couple who waited until they were engaged. But that's it. Any of you readers know an adult who hasn't had sex or one who waited until marriage?

Speaking of which, apparently sex in high school was very common where I lived. More than half (probably 75% or so) of people had sex before leaving HS. But, then I got to college and there were virgins everywhere (disclaimer: my college had a very large number of academic type people (aka nerds) so maybe they just didn't have the chance in HS). Where the hell did they come from (not my high school, that's for sure)? I think most of them had sex before we graduated (proabbly with other nerds), but then I got out into the real world and met more virgins (including the one who professed to be a virgin at her wedding). How the hell did they get out of college without having sex?

No comments:

Post a Comment