Friday, March 09, 2007

Generic or Not

I'm a value girl. I save money where I can. I buy on sale and used. I buy in bulk. I buy off-brand and store brand. But, even I have my limits. Here is a little list of what I will buy as generic and what I won't.

Generic or Store Brand:
  • Diapers (except for Huggies Overnight, we use Baby Basics)
  • Tissues
  • Paper Towels
  • Canned mushrooms
  • Canned tomatoes
  • canned fruits and veggies (store brand OK - generic not OK)
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly (we buy President's Choice All Natural)
  • Bread
  • Cereal (although, I buy name brand too)
  • Oatmeal
  • Sugar (white, brown, and powdered)
  • Saltines
  • Egg Noodles
  • Pop (don't call it soda)
  • Infant Formula (Wal*Mart brand is made by one of the big companies)
  • Hand Soap
  • Dishwasher Detergent
  • Toilet Cleaner
  • Pain Relievers, Cough Drops, Prescription Drugs
  • Lotion and Moisturizers
Name Brand all the way:
  • Tampons and Pads (I used to buy generic but then they changed from a soft cotton-y cover to some scratchy plastic dri-weave type thing)
  • Condoms
  • Baby Wipes (store brand is OK, but generic bad)
  • Toilet Paper must be Cottonelle
  • Crayons must be Crayola (trust me, I've tried others like Rose Art and Cran)
  • Flour
  • Triscuits (I've tried store brand and no)
  • Batteries
  • Tea (and I assume coffee as well)
  • Bath Soap (dove for me, Irish Spring and Dial for the Man)
  • Dish Soap
  • Bath Tub Cleaner
  • Laundry Detergent (although I hear some non-allergic people can go generic)
  • Ice Cream (Breyer's or Edy's)

So, do you have brand loyalty?

No comments:

Post a Comment