Thursday, March 29, 2007

What's for Dinner?

I made Crisp-Skin High-Roast Butterflied Chicken with Potatoes from Cooks' Illustrated as seen on TV on America's Test Kitchen (check your local PBS for times). It was fabulous. I brined the bird, then I butterflied it (which is a very gross procedure), and smeared homemade flavored butter under the skin. OHMYGOSH so good. I made it with their suggestion of pan seared asparagus, which I thought was a little greasy (considering how the potatoes are cooked in rendered chicken fat). Serve it with lightly steamed asparagus and it will be good. Oh, and the smoke alarm went off, but I guess that's to be expected when you are cooking a chicken at 500 degrees (no kidding - 500). Oh and the temperature warped my good broiling pan. I thought a broiler could handle it for sure, but it warped up within 10 minutes. But it was so worth it. Best chicken I have made in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment