Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Recipe - Meat Loaf

Meatloaf freezes well. It's a great thing to bring to a new mom or someone who is sick.
Cut the loaf into single-serving slices, wrap in wax paper, then put all the little pieces into a gallon size freezer bag.

Here's my meat-fu (copyright my husband) recipe that I use all the time.
1-lb super ultra lean ground beef (97% lean)
1-lb extra firm tofu, drained & cubed for easier mashing
chopped onions (omit for nursing mothers, if needed)
Chopped garlic (ditto)
Chopped bell peppers (ditto)
1 cup shredded or cubed cheese (any kind works)
1 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
3/4 cup fat free milk
some chopped tomatoes or grated carrots (very exact quantities)
Some ketchup or BBQ sauce
Some liquid smoke
Some worchestershire sauce
2 eggs
Any other seasonings you like (celery salt, paprika, fresh ground pepper)
(some like to bake it with bacon or catsup on top)
Mash it all up, place into loaf pan(s), and cook in a preheated 350-375F oven for 45 minutes to one hour, 160F on a meat thermometer.

As Chuckles is allergic to milk, I am trying to cut down on his soy consumption (with 1 quart of soy milk per day, I decided to cut back all other soy in his diet because of the possibiliy of phytoestrogens stunting his manly development). So, the last time I made this, I left out the tofu, left out the milk and cheese, and used almost 2 lbs of beef and one cup of V-8 for the moisture. I also thought about throwing in a jar or two of pureed baby food vegetables, but I didn't as I did not happen to have peas, green beans, or carrots in the house. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment