Friday, November 10, 2006

Thanksgiving blogging

Traditionally, I host Thanksgiving at my house. I love to cook. I roast a mean turkey (with garlic). I have dining room furniture and china and wine and a big kitchen (although it does not have granite countertops). I serve beaujolais with dinner. I make pies and tarts and cranberries and desserts of all stripes. I fix vegetable casseroles and I make gravy from pan drippings. Oh, and I have a tablecloth and cloth napkins.

But, I no longer live in my house full time and the house is for sale and when my family started making plans for the holiday in August, I was sure I would be in my new house far away by then, so I don't think I am hosting the holiday (although that's not final yet). Anyway, I don't have a lot to say. Last year I had recipes and ideas. This year, I'm tapped. Fried. Ohhh, maybe try frying the turkey? Or order one of those fancy Tur-duck-ens? I saw at the supermarket, they now make a turkey in a bag where you put the whole thing in the oven for 3 hours and out comes a roasted bird.

Here is what I think dinner should look like:
Appetizers first:
Spinach dip with Hawaiian bread or rye bread
some kind of savory meats/cheeses
veggie tray/crudites
Main Dinner:
Turkey
Stuffing (but not actually stuffed in the bird)
Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
A green vegetable or a a green vegetable casserole (maybe 2 depending on # of guests)
Sweet Potatoes (not candied)
Cranberry relish from scratch
A can of jellied cranberries served still in the shape of the can in a nice dish
Rolls & butter ( I could do without but others assure me this is required)
Salad (with toasted pecans and dried cranberries with a balsamic vinaigrette)
wine
For dessert:
A pumpkin pie
Something with apples or pears (apple slices, pear gingerbread, apple pie)
One other dessert...something chocolate if you hate your family and just want them to fall asleep or a pumpkin crunch or a praline
Whipped cream
Coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment